Saturday, February 25, 2017

Street Buggy, VW Center Tube Repairs

I got some work done on the buggy's center tube last weekend.Thanks to long-term mouse infestation, there was some significant rust-through from the inside at the front of the tube.

I cut out all the rusted pieces and fabricated sheet metal repair panels. The repair pieces were then MIG welded in place and ground smooth. I will skim them with filler and sand it all smooth before paint. I will also fog the inside of the center tube with a rust converter to keep any more internal rust from showing up later. It is written that in the end all is reduced to rust; but we will put up the good fight here in the garage.


I also got started on floor pan repairs. I drilled all the spot welds and removed the passenger's side floor. The original floor pan had been shortened by cutting out 15" and sticking the two pieces back together with a 4" strap welded over the seam. There are different contours to the floor and the cut, hammer to  close enough and cover with a strap held up for years but I figured that with a little planning I could make a more ascetically pleasing job of the shortening procedure. We'll see how that goes when I try to weld it all back together.

The Minneapolis Auto Show is coming up in a couple weeks. It will be good to get out to an event again even it is mostly new cars. Until then, get out in the garage and build something.







No comments:

Post a Comment