Saturday, March 19, 2016

Gotta go to the auto show!


I’m not a new car guy. I don't get excited by a car that parks itself or links with my blue tooth. But I am a car guy and every few years I make it out to the Twin Cities Auto Show.
I enjoy the show, crawling around on vehicles I may be interested in buying ten years from now; looking at $100,000 Porches like I may really be able to buy one.

This year Jeep had vehicles driving around an indoor test course with steep climbs and logs to drive over. If you gave them your email address and ID, you could ride along. My daughter and I went through the relatively painless indoctrination and took a ride in a new Cherokee; very cool! This is a neat sales tool that made me think about a Jeep vehicle as a replacement for Mama’s G35 when the only Jeep I’d considered before was a Grand Cherokee SRT. Now the lowly Cherokee looks like a passable alternative. I will try to remember that fun ride when the Jeep emails flood my inbox next month.
Part of the reason for this year’s trip was to look for a possible replacement for the G35. Our little guy weighs in about 25 lbs. now and lifting him into his car seat in the center of the rear seat is getting tough. I was excited to see the new Chrysler Pacifica and also wanted to have Mama take a good look at a Town & Country. (She wasn't impressed with either but liked the sliding side doors and the seats in the Dodge Grand Caravan R/T).
We saw the new Mustang and the Hellcat. Both very cool but just not on my radar right now, neither being old enough for me or practical enough for Mama’s daily Wisconsin driver.
We ended up liking any Jeep that doesn’t look like a Jeep (Mama’s choice); I still like the looks of the four-door CJ. I know, it’s a Wrangler Unlimited now but it will be a CJ to me as long as it has exposed door hinges. And although I like the look, I don’t think I can justify $30,000+ for something with flat glass. I love the minimalist design approach but it seems like it should cost less?
We also really liked the Mini Clubman. I know it’s not new, this is the last year for the current Clubman design but what a nice little car/wagon/SUV. It sits a little higher and has a higher roof than any of the other Minis making getting the little guy in easier. It’s not too big which mama likes but it does have some hauling room for her garden sundries. I am a fan of the retro styling especially in the gorgeous green and white displayed at the auto show. I haven't had a chance to drive a Mini but have heard a lot of good things about their handling and the S Model performance.
They had a whole room dedicated to electrics this year, cool stuff but I still can’t get excited about cars without a cubic inch rating. I wonder if your garage would smell like my old slot car track after you drove one? God bless me I'm still an internal combustion addict (enter hate mail below, I can take it).
Styling-wise I felt like a bit of a Europhile. I loved the look of the Alfa Romeos and was a fan of the Mini. I am disappointed that we didn’t get to see a new MG on this side of the water but the Porsche Carrera was gorgeous. 
I always like to walk through the vintage car display and hawker alley, get a bag full of giveaway crap I will throw away next month and have my chocolate swirl cone. All in all a great way to spend a day. 
I am impressed with the technology and the "conveniences" they are putting in new cars that I never knew I wanted. Now to go home and start looking on Craigslist for a used Mini, or a '67 Cougar.
What did you like at the auto show? What new cars interest you?














No comments:

Post a Comment