Sunday, December 27, 2015

65 Ford Mustang dashboard trim install

eBay finds collecting on the desk
A little MetAll and elbow grease

We still have holiday company but I was able to sneak out to the garage for a couple hours on the day after Christmas.
I have seen this stainless trim along the lower edge of the dash pad on some early Mustangs but I have not been able to figure out if it was only on Deluxe interior cars or what option package might have included it. I don't see it on a lot of cars.

My 65 did not have the dash trim when I bought it but it did have a replacement dash pad so maybe the trim was there at one time and not reinstalled with the new pad. The trim mounting holes were all in the dashboard under the edge of the pad.
I bought the used trim pieces on eBay and ordered a mounting hardware kit from CJ's Pony Parts. A little polishing with some MetAll aluminum/stainless polish had the pieces looking good and ready to install.
The first step was to locate the mounting holes on the dashpad. They do not come punched open on the new pad but are embossed in there so I got my glasses and looked along the edge for the holes (see pics). I then punched the holes with an ice pick to make it easier to start the screws and clips.
Before picture of the dashboard
Dimple where you need to punch  the screw hole

 I started on the passenger's side so I could do my learning without the steering column in the way. After a few attempts I found the easiest way to install was to start with the small outboard piece lining it up with the ice pick while loosely installing the first screw. Correct installation requires significant pressure on the top of the dash pad while starting the fasteners and an extra set of hands would have been helpful here. Next I installed the two spring clips in the long trim piece and slid the end of the long piece into the short piece. Then I pushed the spring clips through the holes in the pad first, then through the holes in the dashboard. Lastly, I instaledl the the inboard screw loosely.  While still keeping pressure down on the top of the pad, I tightened the three screws.
I repeated the same steps on the driver's side.
The only problem I ran into was some scuffing of the color on the                                                         dash pad.
Finished product
I purchased the dash pad on eBay and was not at all happy with the color when it came. In hindsight I would spend the extra money on a Scott Drake dash pad instead of the off-brand. But when I installed the pad last spring I died it to match the interior and it looks great but the dye is easily scratched and I left some marks on it while installing the trim. These were then touched up with a little lacquer sprayed into a can lid. It looks fine but I would have saved that step if I had purchased a dash pad in the color I wanted from the start.

It was a good day in the garage and left me with a couple of questions.

  1. Does anyone know if these early Mustangs all came with this trim or if it was an option? 
  2. Has anyone else saved money on parts an regretted it later?
  3. Send in pics from your garage, we'd love to see your Real life; Hot Rod


I like the way the trim now becomes a continuous line with
the trim on the door panel




CJ's came through again with the lacquer
 interior paint.
Sometimes I think I might as well direct
deposit my pay check to CJ's

No comments:

Post a Comment