Saturday, December 12, 2015

Water Spots on Clear Coat

After we got home from Christmas shopping today I was able to get out to the garage long enough to polish the trunk lid and tulip panel on the 65. A little history on how I got to this point;

All of the glass was removed reinstalled with new seals when the car was painted in March of this year. But when I washed the car, I had a little water coming in around the seal on the rear window. After a couple of no-shows from a local vintage car glass expert, I ordered a new seal and at the end of summer I installed it with dum dum and a tube of 3M 8509. I let it sit overnight and leak tested the next morning with a bucket of water. All good! No leaks.




I had limited time that morning (remember, real life) so I put the car back in the garage without drying it and didn't come back to the car for a month while I did some landscaping projects around the house.
When I did come back I saw big ugly water spots that would not wipe off.



That brings us up-to-date.

I started this afternoon with hand application of Turtle polishing compound and that wasn't doing any good. Several hand applications of 3M finishing compound on a polishing cloth did the trick. Then a liberal application of Meguiars Gold wax with a terry cloth and things are looking good again. I could have saved myself about 90 minutes of work if I had dried the car before I put it away. Anyone else ever save 5 minutes that took over an hour to fix later?



Here is the start of the next car project waiting in the corner.

Soon my friend. But now we are off to a Christmas party with friends. Real Life: Hot Rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment